Chicken rice casserole with a Mexican flaire! This casserole was fairly easy to make and tasted great. Using Minute brand brown rice also saved time.
serves 6 * 8 points +)
- 12 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced into thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 c. onion, chopped
- 1 T. flour
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 3/4 c. fat-free chicken broth
- 8 oz. Mexican or Pepper Jack Velveeta, cubed
- 2 c. cooked brown Minute rice
- 1/2 c. reduced- fat shredded Colby Jack cheese
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Spray with nonstick spray. Add chicken and cook for 2 minutes. Remove chicken and set aside.
Add peppers and onions to pan. Cook 5 minutes. Sprinkle with flour and cumin. Cook 1 minute. Stir in chicken broth until smooth. Cook 2 minutes. Stir in Velveeta and cook until cheese is melted. Return chicken to pan with cooked rice. Stir to coat. Transfer mixture to an 11 x 7 inch baking dish coated with nonstick spray. Sprinkle with Colby Jack cheese. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes.
adapted from "Cooking Light"