Tonight's meal made good use of the left-over ham bone from Easter dinner. This meal was healthy, delicious and filling. I hope you like it.
serves 8 ( 1/2 c. rice and about 1 c. stew = 6 points +)
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 ham bone with about 2 c. ham still on the bone
- 4 c. fat-free chicken broth
- 1-1/2 c. chopped onion
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 T. crushed garlic
- 1 T. grated orange peel
- 1/2 c. fresh orange juice
- 1/2 c. sherry
- 1/4 c. chopped, fresh cilantro
- 4 c. hot, cooked Jasmine rice
Place all ingredients, except for cilantro and rice in a crock pot. Cover and cook on high 4 - 5 hours. Shred ham off the bone. Remove bone. Serve stew over rice garnished with cilantro.