Monday, February 17, 2014

Red Beans and Rice with Smoked Sausage and Butternut Squash


On Sundays, I like to have a meal ready when we come home from church. This often means that I am looking for something that can be made ahead of time and made quickly. This recipe fit the bill. It was nice a cold, wintry day!

serves 6 ( 1/2 c. rice  and about 3/4 c. squash mixture = 8 points +)


  • 13 oz. pkg. Hillshire farm turkey kielbasa, sliced
  • 1 can ( 15 oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2 cups, cubed butternut squash
  • 1 medium bell pepper, chopped ( color of your choice)
  • 1 c. chopped onion
  • 1 c. chopped celery
  • 1 c. fat-free chicken broth
  • 3/4 c. water
  • 6 oz. can tomato paste
  • 1 bay leaf
  • garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste
  • 4 c. hot, cooked brown rice ( I used Minute Rice for the sake of time)


In a large nonstick skillet coated with nonstick spray, cook sausage until lightly browned. Add remaining ingredients, except for rice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes, covered. Uncover and simmer until mixture looks thickened and squash is tender. ( about 5-10 minutes longer). Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from people who visit my blog! Let me know that you stopped by and let me know if you try a recipe!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...