This Kung Pao Chicken packs a little punch, but it goes perfectly with this coconut jasmine rice!
Kung Pao Chicken: serves 4 ( 1 c = 7 points +)
- 2 T. dark sesame oil
- 1 c. chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1" pieces
- ¾ c. water
- 3 T. low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp. bottled minced ginger
- 1-1 ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 c. snow peas or canned green beans
- 2 T. chopped dry roasted peanuts
Heat oil in a large skillet. Saute onion until softened. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Remove from pan. Add chicken to pan and cook until no longer pink; remove from pan.
Combine water and next five ingredients, stirring with a whisk. Add peppers and snow peas to pan and cook until crisp tender. Return chicken and onions to pan. Stir in sauce. Bring to a boil and cook until thickened. Sprinkle with nuts. Serve with rice.
Coconut Jasmine Rice: seves 4 ( 5 points +)
- 1 c. uncooked jasmine rice
- 1-¼ c. water
- ½ c. light coconut milk
- ¼ tsp. salt
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
adapted from "Cooking Light"