Monday, January 13, 2014

Sweet Potato Rolls



This past November, we did not get Thanksgiving dinner. Our youngest son was hurt in a sporting accident and we spent the entire day in the emergency room. As a result of breaking his nose and almost every bone in his face, he was on a soft food diet for awhile. He asked that I would make "Thanksgiving Dinner" once he could eat it again. I decided to try making these homemade rolls from a recipe I found in an old "Midwest Living" magazine. They were delicious and surprisingly only 3 points +. 

Makes 16 rolls ( each roll = 3 points +)

  • 1/2 c. warm water
  • 2 T. sugar
  • 1 packet active dry yeast
  • 1/2 c. mashed cooked sweet potato or canned pumpkin
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 T. butter, softened
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 c. white whole-wheat flour ( I used King Arthur)
  • 1-1-3 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1 T. melted butter


In a large bowl, mix warm water, 1 T. sugar and yeast. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir in remaining sugar, sweet potato ( or pumpkin, eggs, softened butter and salt. Gradually stir in whole wheat flour. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough remaining all-purpose flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic. ( 6-8 minutes). You can also mix your dough with a stand mixer if you have a dough hook attachment.
Shape dough into a ball. Place in a large bowl coated with nonstick spray; turn once to grease surface. Cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled ( about one hour). I usually let my dough rise on top of my stove with the oven turned on.
Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface, cover and let rest 10 minutes. 
Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking pan, Shape dough into 16 balls; place in pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly doubled. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until golden. Brush with melted butter. Serve warm.

1 comment:

I love hearing from people who visit my blog! Let me know that you stopped by and let me know if you try a recipe!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...