Monday, August 19, 2013

Chicken Apricot Skewers


This Thai inspired marinade using peanut butter and coconut milk gives this dish a symphony of flavor. Marinate for at least 3 hours for maximum flavor. You can marinate overnight as well. I suggest using 2 small ( 6 inch) skewers for each kabob as they tend to hold the apricots on better. This recipe is perfect for a light lunch or as a party appetizer.

Makes 18 skewers ( 2 points + each)

  • 3/4 c. light coconut milk
  • 1/2 c. plain, low-fat Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 c. reduced fat, creamy peanut butter
  • 1/4 c. fresh lime juice
  • 2 tsp. brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. crushed garlic
  • salt
  • 1/4 c. chopped, fresh cilantro
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped ( leave seeds in for more heat)
  • 1-1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 36 1 inch chunks
  • 18 firm ripe small apricots, halved and pitted
  • 1/4 c. chopped dry roasted peanuts
  • lime wedges

Puree first 6 ingredients with 3/4 tsp. salt in a blender until smooth. Add cilantro and jalapeno. Blend to combine. Transfer 1/2 c. marinade to a small bowl; cover and chill for serving. ( return to room temperature before using).

Place remaining marinade in a large ziplock bag. Add chicken, seal and turn to coat. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.

Holding two skewers parallel to each other, thread one piece of chicken onto skewers, followed by one apricot half. Repeat with another piece of chicken and another apricot half. 
Repeat with remaining chicken and apricots for a total of 18 skewers. Season with salt and pepper. Discard remaining marinade.

Preheat grill to medium heat. Grill skewers on one side until chicken is well browned ( 3-4 minutes). Turn and grill until other side is browned and chicken is no longer pink.

Transfer to a serving platter; sprinkle with more cilantro sprigs and peanuts. Drizzle with reserved marinade. Serve with lime wedges.

adapted from "Bon Appetit"

4 comments:

  1. Hi... I love your blog ..so many great recipes...I couldn't find a contact button on the blog so I am going to ask here... I have a weight loss support group on Facebook and was wondering if it would be OK to share your recipes on there? I am always look for good recipes to post ... thanks for your time... I'll be back to check out more recipes!!
    Cherie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cherie,
      That is fine as long as you credit me and give the link back to my blog. Thank you!

      Delete
    2. My email is hvnlydays2004@yahoo dot com

      Delete
    3. Awesome I will attach a link back to your blog on each recipe...
      Thank you have a blessed night

      Delete

I love hearing from people who visit my blog! Let me know that you stopped by and let me know if you try a recipe!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...