This recipe from "Cooking Light" is very hearty and filling! You can have the full serving size of 2 cups for 10 points + or have 1 cup for lunch for just 5 points.
I served this along with a salad and walnut bread.
Serves 4 ( 2 c. = 10 points +)
- ¾ lb. boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1-½ c. thinly sliced carrot
- 1-½ c. thinly sliced celery
- ⅔ c. chopped onion
- 8 oz. package sliced mushrooms
- 4 c. fat free beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- ⅔ c. uncooked pearl barley
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Brown beef. Remove beef from pan. Add carrot, celery, onion and mushrooms. Cook until tender. Add beef, broth and bay leaf. Cook for 30 minutes. Add barley. Cover and cook 1 hour or until barley is tender. Stir in salt and pepper. Discard bay leaf.