This stew can be made in a Dutch oven or slow cooker. If making in the slow cooker, follow directions through step 2 and than transfer ingredients to slow cooker and cook on high for 5 hours.
serves 6 ( about ¾ c. stew and ½ c. noodles = 9 points + )
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 4-5 tsp. crushed garlic ( I buy crushed garlic in a jar)
- 2 lb. boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 2" cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 c. red wine
- 2 c. chopped carrot
- 1 c. chopped onion
- ½ c. fat-free beef broth
- ½ tsp. dried rosemary
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- 1 ( 14 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 c. cooked egg noodles
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Heat oil in a Dutch oven. Add garlic and saute. Add beef and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes, browning on all sides. Add wine to the pan and bring to a boil, scraping to loosen browned bits. Add remaining ingredients through bay leaf.
3. Cover and bake for 2-½ hours or until beef is tender. Discard bay leaf, Serve over egg noodles.
adapted from "Cooking Light"