This pretty summer-time salad could easily become one of my favorites! This is another great recipe using the abundance of fresh tomatoes available at this time of year. The butter used to toast the bread gives this an "over-the-top" delicious flavor!
serves 6 ( 4 points +)
- 1 T. butter
- 3 oz. French bread, cut into 1/4-1/2 inch cubes
- 3/4 c. frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 4 c. tomatoes, chopped ( I used Roma and grape tomatoes)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 c. baby arugula
- 3 T. light mayonnaise
- 1 T. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. finely chopped green onions or chives
- 1/4 c. basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
Melt butter in a large skillet. Add bread; saute until bread is toasted ( about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in corn.
Place tomatoes in a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Let stand 5 minutes. Add vinegar and oil to the tomatoes. Toss to coat. Add bread and arugula; toss to coat.
Combine mayonnaise, lemon juice and green onions in a small bowl.
Arrange tomato mixture on a large platter. Drizzle with mayonnaise mixture; sprinkle evenly with basil and bacon.
adapted from "Cooking Light"