What an amazing soup for a cool, wintry day. It is the perfect combination of spiciness with cool toppings to balance it out. This recipe is sure to satisfy all soup lovers!
serves 8 ( about 1-1/4 c. soup with 1/4 c. relish = 7 points +)
- 2-1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 T. canola oil, divided
- 1-1/4 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch wide strips
- 2 c. chopped onion
- 1 c. chopped red bell pepper
- 1 c. chopped green bell pepper
- 1 c. chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 T. crushed garlic ( from a jar)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 c. frozen corn, thawed
- 1 ( 32 oz) carton fat-free chicken broth
- 1 ( 28 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 T. lime juice
- 1/2 c. chopped, fresh cilantro
- 1/3 c. chopped green onions
- 3 oz. queso fresco, crumbled
- 1 diced, peeled avocado
Combine spice ingredients in a small bowl.
To prepare soup, heat 2 tsp. oil in a large nonstick saucepan. Add chicken; sprinkle 1-1/2 T. spice mix over chicken. Saute 8 minutes or until done; Remove and cool Chop chicken into small pieces; set aside.
Heat remaining 1 tsp. oil in pan. Add onion, peppers, garlic and 1/2 tsp. salt. Sprinkle vegetable mixture with remaining spice blend; saute 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in chicken, corn, broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add lime juice.
To prepare relish, combine all ingredients.
Ladle 1-1/4 c. soup into bowls; top with 1/4 c. relish.
adapted from "Cooking Light"