This dish was perfect for a chilly Sunday afternoon. I popped the ingredients in the crock pot early this morning and when I returned from church, it was ready. We had this with a simple mixed greens salad and some Italian bread. You can serve this over brown Minute rice for a heartier version if you like. 1/2 c. cooked brown Minute rice will add 3 points +. This recipe was slightly adapted from my friend, Gina, over at "Skinny Taste". Her recipe also said to cook this on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours, but I cooked mine on high for 3 hours and low for another 3 hours and it was perfect. You will have to experiment with your own crock pot!
serves 10 ( about 1-1/4 c. with 2 T. reduced-fat shredded cheddar = 5 points +)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 24 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can ( 15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can ( 15 oz.) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can ( 8 oz. ) tomato sauce
- 2 cans ( 15 oz. each) diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 10 oz. frozen corn
- 1 T. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- salt to taste
- 1-1/4 c. reduced-fat shredded cheddar or Jack cheese
- 1/4 c. chopped, fresh cilantro
Place all ingredients except for cilantro and cheese in a crockpot. Cook on high for 3 hours, then turn to low for 3 hours. ( you can also cook on low all day or until chicken shreds easily with a fork)
Remove chicken and shred 30 minutes before serving. Top with fresh cilantro.
Sprinkle each serving with 2 T. cheese.