This recipe has a whole lot of cheesy goodness! It is definitely a comfort food recipe!
serves 8 ( 7 points + )
- 2 bell peppers, julienned ( colors of your choice)
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 4 oz. fresh mushrooms
- garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste
- 1 loaf ( 1 lb) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 12 oz. reduced-fat Velveeta cheese, sliced
- ½ lb. deli roast beef, chopped ( I did buy a good quality Angus roast beef)
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp. water
- 1//4 c. shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute the peppers, onions and mushrooms until tender. Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Set aside.
Roll bread dough out to a 15 x 10 inch rectangle. Place half of the Velveeta down the center of the bread dough. Top with all of the beef, then all of the pepper mixture. Top with remaining Velveeta. Fold dough over filling, pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under. Place seam-side down.
Mix egg white with water and brush over loaf. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Sprinkle with mozzarella and bake and additional 5 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Make sure you let stand or you will have cheese oozing out all over the place!
adapted from "Healthy Cooking"