serves 8 ( 3 points+)
- 1 lb. broccoli ( fresh or frozen) chopped
- 1 T. olive oil
- 6 slices, center-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 c. chopped onion
- ½ tsp. oregano
- ⅛ tsp. crushed red pepper
- 2 tsp. crushed garlic
- 1 ( 15 oz) can chickpeas (Garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 oz. Romano cheese, shaved
Cook broccoli in a large pot of boiling water for 5 minutes or until crisp tender. Drain.
Heat oil in a medium skillet. Add bacon and cook until starting to crisp. Add onion and cook until onion softens. Stir in garlic, oregano and crushed red pepper. Add chickpeas and cook for 1 minute. Return broccoli to the pan, season with salt and pepper and heat through.
Transfer mixture to a serving bowl and top with shaved Romano cheese.
adapted from "Cooking Light"