Saturday, February 25, 2012

Lemon Blueberry Poppy Seed Bread





This is probably one of my all-time favorite quick bread recipes. This recipe comes from my friend, Twyla. You can lower this recipe by 2 points by using applesauce in place of the canola oil. I will list the ingredients with canola oil, but try substituting with applesauce some time and see what you think!
I also like my bread thickly sliced, so I will slice the loaf into 8 and then slice each piece in half. The topping will make enough for 4 loaves. Use ¼ for this recipe and refrigerate the rest for another use.


Serves 16 ( 6 points + or 4 points+ if using applesauce)


Bread:

  • 1 package Betty Crocker Lemon-Poppyseed muffin mix ( do not use the lemon glaze packet)
  • 2 eggs
  • ¾ c. skim milk
  • ⅓ c. canola oil ( or unsweetened applesauce)
  • 1 c. blueberries



Topping:

  • ⅓ c. butter
  • ½ c. sugar
  • ¾ c. flour



Glaze:

  • ½ c. powdered sugar
  • 1 T. lemon juice



Preheat oven to 350 and coat a loaf pan with nonstick spray.
Rinse blueberries in cold water and drain.


For bread, combine muffin mix with eggs, milk and oil ( or applesauce). Fold in blueberries. Transfer to the prepared loaf pan.
For topping, slightly soften butter and combine with flour and sugar until crumbly. Sprinkle ¼ of this mixture over the batter. ( refrigerate remaining topping for another use)


Bake for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.


For glaze, whisk together powdered sugar and lemon juice. Drizzle over cooled loaf.

4 comments:

  1. Do you think I could substitute apple sauce instead of the eggs? Blondie Boy is allergic to eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melaina,
      Yes, I believe you can substitue applesauce in place of the eggs. You can also substitue with mashed banana for cake-like recipes such as this. If you do use the applesauce in place of the eggs, then I would keep the canola oil and not substitute applesauce for that. Let me know how it turns out.
      Two eggs is about 1/2 c. Try substituting with an equal amount of applesauce or mashed banana.

      Delete
  2. Hello...Do you know what the points would change to if I didnt do the topping or the glaze?

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from people who visit my blog! Let me know that you stopped by and let me know if you try a recipe!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...