My dad was in Africa for three months last summer. I thought I would make him this dish as a reminder of his time there. The flavor combination in this dish is outstanding!
serves 8 ( about 1-¼ c. = 6 points +)
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tsp. canola oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 T. crushed garlic
- 1 T. crushed ginger
- 2 cans ( 15 oz. each) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can ( 28 oz.) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 c. fat-free chicken broth
- ¼ c. reduced-fat creamy peanut butter
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tsp. oil in a Dutch oven or large pot. Cook chicken until no longer pink. Remove chicken from pot and keep warm.
Add remaining teaspoon of oil to pot. Cook onion until tender. Add ginger and garlic. Cook 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until sweet potato is tender ( 20-30 minutes) Return chicken to pot and heat through.
from "Healthy Cooking"