Saturday, September 3, 2011

Grandma's Pineapple Upside-Down Cake


My grandmother was the best cook/baker I ever knew. This pineapple upside-down cake is her recipe. I have lightened it slightly, but it still tastes awesome! It is definitely a treat.

serves 12 ( 7 points+)

  • ½ c. light stick butter
  • 1 c. brown sugar
  • 1 can ( 20 oz) pineapple rings
  • maraschino cherries
  • 1 c. flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • ⅛ tsp. salt
  • 3 eggs. separated
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 5 T. pineapple juice


Melt butter in a 10" cast iron skillet. Add brown sugar and stir until mixed. Remove from heat. Place pineapple rings on top of brown sugar mixture and place a maraschino cherry in the center of each pineapple.
Preheat oven to 350. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, beat sugar with pineapple juice and 3 egg yolks. Sift flour, salt and baking powder. Add to egg mixture and beat well. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold into batter. Spoon evenly over pineapples. Bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving tray.

4 comments:

  1. What a glorious creation. This is my first visit to your blog and I've spent some time browsing through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from people who visit my blog! Let me know that you stopped by and let me know if you try a recipe!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...