Thursday, September 15, 2011

Meatloaf with Carmelized Onions and Mushrooms

Ready to go into the oven

Ready to eat!


This meatloaf is very hearty and gives a huge portion. I am not much of a mushroom fan, but they sure taste good in this recipe!

serves 6 ( 6 points + )

  • 2 tsp. olive oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tsp. sugar
  • ½ lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
  • 1-½ lbs lean ground beef ( at least 93% lean)
  • 1 c. tomato sauce
  • ½ c. plain dry bread crumbs
  • 2 eg whites, lightly beaten
  • 1 tsp. dried basil
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • ¼ tsp. pepper


Preheat oven to 375 and spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tsp. oil in a large skillet coated with cooking spray. Add the onions, garlic and sugar; cook until golden ( about 10 minutes). Remove onions from skillet. Heat remaining teaspoon of oil and cook mushrooms until tender. Place mushrooms and onions in a large bowl. Add ground beef, bread crumbs, egg whites, basil, salt, pepper and ½ c. tomato sauce. Mix by hand and form into a loaf. Place in baking dish. Top with remaining ½c. tomato sauce. Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour or until desired doneness.

from Weight Watcher's Turn Around cookbook

5 comments:

  1. Any idea how many calories per serving?
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Wilsonpartyof3,
    There are 243 calories per serving of this meatloaf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much! I am trying this tonight...cannot wait! Thanks for all the great recipes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this recipe tonight for dinner and it was delicious! Perfect for a weeknight dinner. We ate with white rice and salad! The only change I made was that I made my own tomato sauce because I don't like the ready to eat canned ones. :)
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lelezissima,
    I make my own sauce too :) Glad you liked the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from people who visit my blog! Let me know that you stopped by and let me know if you try a recipe!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...