We are entering soup season. I love soup and I Love this recipe!
serves 8 (7 points +)
- 1 lb. turkey Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 c. chopped onion
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 5 c. fat-free chicken broth
- 28 oz. canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 c. red wine
- 2 T. dried basil
- 2 T. dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 10 oz. frozen cheese tortellini
- parmesan cheese ( optional)
Cook sausage in a large saucepan, breaking into small pieces. Drain, remove and set aside.
Heat oil in same pan. Cook onion until tender. Add garlic and cook one minute. Add all remaining ingredients besides tortellini. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add tortellini and sausage and cook until tortellini is done 6-8 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired.