Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Pepper, Onion and Sausage Calzones




This tasty meal is sure to please!


Serves 8 ( 8 points +)
  • 1 lb. frozen bread dough, thawed and left to rise
  • 1 large onion, sliced thinly
  • 1 red bell pepper, sliced thinly
  • 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced thinly
  • 1 lb. hot Italian turkey sausage
  • 2 c. pizza sauce, divided
  • 1-⅓ c. part- skim shredded mozzarella



Brown sausage with peppers and onions; drain. Stir in 1-¾ c. pizza sauce.
Divide bread dough into 8 equal sections; roll each section into a circle about 8" in diameter. Place sausage mixture in the center of each circle. Top with equal amounts of cheese. Fold dough over and seal by crimping with a fork. 
Place calzones on baking sheets coated with nonstick spray. Spray calzones.
Bake at 500 degrees for 15 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with extra pizza sauce if desired.

5 comments:

  1. This looks DELISH! Hope to try this in the very near future but in the mean time I'm pinning it! Thanks for all the great recipes that include point values !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you freeze these?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never frozen these, but I cannot see why you wouldn't be able to!

      Delete
  3. I plan to also put the sauce inside the dough and freeze them as 'frozen' meals for lunches. I'll let you know how it turns out! Thanks for the great idea

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from people who visit my blog! Let me know that you stopped by and let me know if you try a recipe!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...