Monday, June 4, 2012

Rhubarb Bread





I am not a great fan of rhubarb, but this bread is outstanding! I like it even better than banana bread. This is an old family recipe, lightened just a bit. I hope you like it!
I like to cut each loaf into 8 slices and then cut those slices in half so that it feels like you are getting a thick piece.


Makes 2 loaves ( 16 slices each loaf) 1 slice = 3 points +


Bread:

  • 1-½ c. brown sugar
  • ⅓ c. unsweetened applesauce
  • ⅓ c. canola oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1 c. sour milk( 1 c. skim milk with 1 T. vinegar. Let stand for a few minutes)
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 2-½ c. flour
  • 1-½ c. rhubarb, sliced thinly



Topping:

  • ½ c. sugar
  • 1 T. softened butter



Mix ingredients in order given. Pour into 2 loaf pans coated with nonstick spray.  For topping, combine butter and sugar until crumbly.  Sprinkle with topping. Bake at 350 for 45 -60 minutes.

11 comments:

  1. how many calories is this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I substituted almond milk and used olive oil. Recipe came out to 356 for two slices.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a very easy recipe and that makes it more fun ;) I didn't have rhubarb though, so I substituted strawberries & bananas (higher fruit content) and part of the sugar I added stevia baking mix instead, plus some walnuts. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. can almond milk replace regular milk??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did and added the vinager. Worked fine.

      Delete
  5. I replace sour milk with 1 cup of buttermilk. Now it is cooking. Easy bread...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am also following Weight Watchers, so I was very excited to try your recipe. I do Smart Points and with a few changes one slice is 8 spts.
    I had fat free sour cream so I topped up 1/4 c of sour milk with it to make 1 cup. I had a slice. It is very good and will make again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it when people change up the recipe completely and say it was great!

    Love the original recipe, didn't change a thing....Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from people who visit my blog! Let me know that you stopped by and let me know if you try a recipe!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...