What a wonderfully satisfying casserole this was. This will take about 1 hour to make, start to finish. You can also cook your chicken ahead of time. This would also be a great way to use up leftover chicken.
serves 6 ( 10 points+)
- 1 T. canola oil
- 1/2 c. chopped onion
- 1 T. crushed garlic
- 2 T. flour
- 1 c. ( 2 %) milk
- 1/2 c. fat-free chicken broth
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 oz. reduced fat cream cheese
- 1 c. black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 c. cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 4 oz. baked tortilla chips, crushed
- 1 roasted red bell pepper, chopped
- 8 oz. green chili enchilada sauce
- 2/3 c. reduced fat Jack cheese
- 2 T. chopped green onions
Preheat oven to 350.
Heat oil in a saucepan; add onion and cook until tender. Add garlic and flour. Cook 1 minute. Gradually add milk and broth, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in cumin, salt, pepper and cream cheese until cream cheese is melted and well blended.
Spread 1/2 c. milk mixture in the bottom of an 11 x 7 inch baking dish. Layer beans, half of the chicken and half of the crushed tortilla chips. Top with another 1/2 c. milk mixture. Layer remaining chicken, bell pepper and remaining crushed tortilla chips. Top with remaining milk mixture and enchilada sauce. Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Top with green onions.
adapted from " Cooking Light"