This one is a keeper!
Fresh Tomato, Sausage, and Romano Pasta: Serves 6 (8 points + )
- 8 oz. uncooked penne pasta
- 8 oz. sweet Italian sausage
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 c. vertically sliced onion
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1-1/4 lbs. tomatoes, chopped
- 6 T. fresh Romano Cheese, divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 c. torn fresh basil leaves
Cook pasta according to package directions omitting salt and fat. Drain.
Heat a large nonstick skillet. Add oil to pan. Remove sausage from casings and add to pan, stirring to break up sausage. Add onion to the pan. Cook until onion is tender and sausage is cooked through. Add garlic to pan and cook 2 minutes. Add tomatoes to pan and cook 2-4 minutes. Add 2 T. fresh Romano cheese to the pan. Remove from heat. Stir in pasta, salt, pepper, remaining cheese and torn basil leaves.