This was awesome! The recipe was adapated from "Cooking Light"
serves 8 ( 6 points +)
- 2 T. light butter
- 5 slices fully cooked, chopped
- 1/4 c. chopped shallots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 T. flour, divided
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 c. (2%) milk
- 3/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/8 tsp. ground red pepper
- 1 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1/8" slices
- 8 oz. sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/8" slices
- 8 oz. butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/8" slices
- 1/3 c. shredded Gruyere cheese
Preheat oven to 375
Melt butter in a small saucepan. Add pancetta or bacon and cook 1 minute. Add shallots and garlic and cook 2 minutes. Add 1/4 c. flour to the pan; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk. Stir in thyme. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until thick ( about 3 minutes) Stir in Parmesan cheese. Cook until cheese melts. Stir in salt, pepper and red pepper (cayenne). Remove from heat.
Cook potatoes and squash in boiling water until almost tender. Drain. Sprinkle vegetables with remaining 1 T. flour. Arrange potato mixture in an 11 x 7 " pan coated with cooking spray. Spoon sauce over the mixture. Top with Gruyere. Bake at 375 for 40 minutes.
Preheat broiler. Broil 3 minutes or until golden. Let stand 10 minutes.