Strawberry Muffins: Makes 12 ( 5 points +)
- 1-1/4 c. all purpose flour
- 1/2 c. whole wheat pastry flour ( or you can use additional all purpose)
- 1/2 c. + 1 T. sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 c. skim milk
- 3 T. butter, melted
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 c. strawberry jam ( we used our homemade)
- 1-1/2 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
Preheat oven to 400. Spray 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, whisk flours, 1/2 c. sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center. In a small bowl, whisk the milk, butter and egg. Add to the flour mixture, stirring until just moist.
Spoon about 1 T. batter into muffin cups. SPoon 2 tsp. jam into the center of each muffim cut. Mix chocolate into the remaining batter. Top jam with remaining batter. Sprinkle tops of muffins evenly with remaining 1 T. sugar.
Bake 20-22 minutes or until muffins spring back with lightly touched in the center. Remove from pan. Cool completely on a wire rack.
from the cookbook: "Enlightened Chocolate"