Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Lemon Snowflake Cookies



This year, I decided to grow some herbs. I grew lemon balm because it smells so good. However, after it started growing I wondered what to do with it! I found this recipe for Lemon Snowflake Cookies that uses lemon balm in the icing!
This recipe is adapted from a Gooseberry Patch cookbook called "For Bees & Me". It is a neat book with all kinds of recipes for how to use up that summer produce and herbs.
If you would like some lemon balm, let me know!

Lemon Snowflakes: makes 48 cookies ( 2 points each)

1 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. sugar
3/4 c. cornstarch
1-1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. pecans, finely chopped

Icing:
1 c. powdered sugar
2 T. light stick butter, melted
3-4 lemon balm leaves, finely chopped
fresh lemon juice to achieve desired consistency

Beat butter and sugar until well mixed. Sift together the flour and cornstarch. Gradually add to the butter mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Shape dough into 48 small balls. Scatter finely chopped pecans on a sheet of waxed paper. Drop each ball of dough on nuts and flatten with the bottom of a glass dipped in flour. Place nut side up on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 13 minutes. Cool completely.
For icing, whisk all ingredients together to achieve spreading consistency.
Swirl on top of each cookie. Let set before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from people who visit my blog! Let me know that you stopped by and let me know if you try a recipe!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...