Saturday, July 24, 2010

Tinga

Maria shredding the chicken


The chicken with onion, garlic, tomatoes, chipotle peppers and tomato sauce.

The finished Tinga!

Last night, our new friend Maria made dinner for us. She made an authentic Mexican dish called "Tinga". The boys absolutely loved it! This dish does have a bit of heat, but you can either add less peppers or use more tomato sauce to make it less spicy.

Tinga: serves 8 ( 2 tostadas with toppings = 7 points +)


  • 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 2 onions, divided
  • 4 garlic cloves, divided
  • 16 oz. tomato sauce
  • 1 small can ( 8-12 oz) chipotle peppers in adobo sauce ( the San Marco brand seems less spicy)
  • 3 tomatoes, diced
  • iceberg lettuce, shredded
  • 1 c. Breakstone's fat free sour cream
  • 16 tostada shells

Boil the chicken with one sliced onion, two crushed garlic cloves and salt. Cook until chicken is no longer pink. Shred chicken and reserve some of the cooking liquid.
In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute thinly sliced and halved onion, 2 garlic cloves, minced and salt to taste. Add diced tomatoes, chipotle peppers and tomato sauce. Use cooking liquid to thin as desired. Bring to a boil. Add the shredded chicken and heat through.
Layer each tostada with 1 T. sour cream, a little of the chicken mixture and the shredded lettuce.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I just happened upon your blog site through Pinterest last night! I am EXCITED to start trying these recipes!! Thank you for putting them all up!! I shall let you know how they go for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found you via Pinterest. My sister made this for us a couple of weeks ago and I've been dying for the recipe. I could seriously eat Tinga every day. Yum! Thank you for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah the shot of everything in the pan does it for me. Hows about some capsicum?

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from people who visit my blog! Let me know that you stopped by and let me know if you try a recipe!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...