( 24 servings = 5 points + )
- 1/2 c. light stick butter ( Land O' Lakes)
- 1-1/2 c sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce
- 2 squares semisweet chocolate, melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 c. flour
- 1/3 c. baking cocoa
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 c. light stick butter, softened
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
- 2 drops green food coloring
- 1 c. semisweet chocolate chips
- 6 T. light stick butter
In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs then egg whites, beating well after each addition. Add applesauce, melted chocolate and vanilla.
Combine flour, baking cocoa and salt. Stir into batter until just blended. Pour into a 13 x 9 pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 22-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
For mint layer, beat butter until fluffy. Add powdered sugar, peppermint extract and food coloring. Beat until smooth. Spread over cooled brownies. Refrigerate until firm.
For icing, melt chocolate chips with butter. Spread over cooled mint layer. Refrigerate until set.